Thursday 5 May 2016

The Welsh Open

Last Sunday we hosted the Welsh Open at CIWW, and what a day it was!

First thing all the sponsors of the event set up shop to display the latest gear and supply endless amounts of demo boats for the day. The full production Dagger Nomad models were drawing in some attention!



I had to work for most of the day but that wasn't a downer because I was on freestyle coaching. It was great to see a range of young kids and adults trying to get into freestyle and seeing the quick progress they were making was great! Big shout out to Lowri Davies for helping us out on the sessions!


After work the Boater X began. We had built a purpose made ramp about half way down the course and it worked really well allowing 4 people in each heat. The course was set out with a number of obstacles that needed to be touched, if missed you were out!


My first heat went really well starting with a minor scrap with Natty Cordon, I managed to get ahead and have a clean run to the finish line. My 2nd heat was much the same breaking away from the pack early.

On my final run I was lucky enough to get a prime starting position on the left, so once we hit the water I again managed to get an early lead and avoid the carnage that ensued behind me! It was such a fun race and I was pleased with my 1st place!



Mean while the freestyle was taking place with 3 ability levels. The prize everyone was fighting for was a wooden trophy that Ronnie had worked really hard on during the lead up to the event. I was taking part in the elite category but after the boater X my shoulder froze up a little and I wanted to avoid injury with my upcoming Italy trip. And I would have got my ass kicked as there was some serious talent competing!



Thanks to everyone who organised the event and to all the sponsors who supplied demos, and prizes. Also a huge shout out to everyone who competed, it was nice to see lots of new faces!

Photo Credits to Gav Cooper and Isabel Cuesta

Next up PADDLE FEST!


No comments:

Post a Comment